Q. What areas do you service?
A. We service Dawson County only. Please contact our office for location areas.

Q. What services do you offer?
A. We provide water and sewer services; residential and commercial.

Q. Who should I contact in case of an emergency after business hours?
A. If it is between 8AM and 4:30PM, please call (706) 216-8474. Any other time, please call our water plant at (706) 265-3395. Please make sure it is an emergency.

Q. How often will I be billed?
A. We mail out our bills monthly around the 15th or 16th of each month. The bills are due the following month around the 6th or the 7th.

Q. Do you offer email billing so I do not receive a monthly billing statement?
A. EWSA does offer email billing. To sign up for that service, please click Pay My Bill on the home page.

Q. When is my payment considered late and are there any penalties for late payments?
A. Any payments not received on or before the DUE DATE will receive penalties on the following business day. A penalty of $10 or 10% (whichever is greater) is added to the account.

Q. When is my service subject to disconnection?
A. Twenty (20) days from the original due date.

Q. Why do I continue to receive bills for water and/or sewer service charges when I am not using water or sewer at the present time?
A. You will continue to receive at least a minimum bill for water and/or sewer service charges even if no water is used in the home.

Q. My service was turned off without any notification. Can you please tell me why?
A. If your account is delinquent and you have not made arrangements, or if you have had a returned check, your service has probably been disconnected. Our customers are notified on three different occasions before the water is actually turned off. First, we mail out a delinquent notice, which gives you a date to pay by. Second, a few days later our current bills are mailed out, if you are past due, the bill will state that you need to pay before the disconnection date to avoid disruption. Third, we have an auto phone system that calls each customer past due to inform them to pay. In order for this service to work, we have to get your correct phone number on the account.

Q. My service was turned off or I found a lock on my meter. What do I need to do to have my service restored today?
A. First, do not remove the lock. If you remove the lock for any reason, you will be charged a tampering fee and could be charged with theft of service. Your service may have been turned off either for non-payment or locked for no-contract. A reconnect charge of $75.00 will be required if service is reconnected. To find out what is needed to have your service restored, please call customer service at (706) 216-8474 during normal business hours. Please note: All funds owed will have to be paid before it can be unlocked, and it will also have to be paid before Friday at 4:30 p.m. We do not restore service over the weekends.

Q. What should I do if my bank had notified me of a returned check with you?
A. You should call our office immediately once you are notified. Once we receive paperwork that your payment has been returned for NSF, you have 10 days to take care of the amount owed. We will send out a letter to inform you, but in case this letter is lost in the mail, please don’t rely on the letter. You will be asked to pay for the amount plus an additional $30.00 or 5 % of the face amount of the check, whichever is greater, plus any charges EWSA receives from the bank or financial institution as a result of the check not being honored.

Q. Why is my water “cloudy” or “milky” colored?
A. When water has been shut off at the main (normally due to a main break or leak), this sometimes causes air in the lines. The color that you are seeing is probably due to this. You can check by filing up a glass with water and letting it sit for a short time. If the water clears up, there is air in the line. To remove air from the line, turn on the cold water tap in your house and let them run for 5 to 10 minutes. If you still have the problem, call our office at (706) 216-8474.

Q. What are the white particles in my water?
A. This may be due to a faulty dip tube in your water heater. Sometimes the plastic in the tube breaks down and this can clog your faucets and showerheads. You can find more information by visiting a helpful website at www.homerepair.about.com (subject: Water Heaters).

Q. Who is responsible for the water lines from the meter to my house?
A. EWSA maintains the lines from the water main to the meter box, and the water meter. The homeowner is responsible for the line from the meter to the house.

Q. Why has my water bill doubled?
A. Between the dates listed on your last bill, did you do any of the following?
• Have more guests in your home;
• Landscape your yard (Put down grass or sod);
• Pressure wash your driveway or house;
• Have any plumbing repairs completed, even if minor.

If any one of the above applies, then this could be a reason for the increase in your consumption and your bill. A high water bill can be one of the two: indication of a leak, or customer’s consumption habits. We recommend you to first check for a leak. At a convenient time for you, make sure no one is using water, go out to your water meter and open lid, look for a leak indicator on the meter, if it reads positive, you have a leak. Also, if you will write down the reading on the meter, make sure no one is using water in the house, wait about an hour or two and go back and read the meter again. If the numbers have changed AT ALL, you could possibly have a leak. If you are unable to locate the leak, you might want to consider contacting a plumber. EWSA is not responsible for any leaks occurring between the meter and the house or inside the house. It could be a very small leak that you do not even notice. Small leak are usually toilets or faucets. You can check to see if your toilets are leaking by putting a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If the toilet is leaking, the food coloring will show in the toilet bowl in about 30 minutes. Always keep in mind that if you have been watering your lawn or garden, this will cause an increase in your water bill. To determine how much you use while doing so, write down your reading before and after you water to calculate how many gallons were used.

Q. Can I receive an adjustment for a leak that I have repaired?
A. Yes, EWSA will give a customer an adjustment for a leak one time per year, as long as the leak is in the service line, or in the home. We do NOT make any adjustments due to irrigation systems or swimming pools. To receive an adjustment, please look under forms, and follow the directions. When the appropriate documents have been received, your account will be reviewed and adjustments made to your account.

Q. Are special rates offered for senior citizens?
A. EWSA does not offer any special rates at this time but it may be an option in the future.

Q. Is there a deposit required?
A. Yes, we do require a deposit. Please see our policies and rates.

Q. Do you rent out hydrant meters?
A. EWSA does rent out hydrant meters to customers. You will have to fill out an application for the rental, provide a copy of your driver’s license, and put down a deposit. Please see our policies and rates for deposit rental fees and monthly usage in gallons.

Q. How do I file an open records request?
A. Contact Sophia Dearwent at sdearwent@etowahwaterga.gov for open records requests.